What’s one of the most important step to let Google know that your website is safe and official? Redirecting HTTP to HTTPS. Commonly known as SSL Redirect, it is the crucial thing to do just after creating a website.
Some people face difficulty to redirect HTTP to HTTPS, it is not so difficult, but the main thing is to set up your website according to HTTPS.
Here, we will discuss How to do an SSL Redirect.
What Is HTTPS
According to Google,
Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to. The ‘S’ at the end of HTTPS stands for ‘Secure’. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted.
A short explanation is enough because we have been taught about this at our school.
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a standard security protocol for establishing encrypted links between a web server and a browser in an online communication. The usage of SSL technology ensures that all data transmitted between the web server and browser remains encrypted.
Now, you must have got an idea that the SSL Certificate is needed to do the SSL Redirect.
But, where do I will get one?
That’s why we are here.
To generate an SSL Certificate, I would recommend you to use SSL For Free. It lets you generate a free SSL Certificate and helps you to redirect HTTP to HTTPS.
Follow these steps for SSL redirect:–
- Open the website SSL For Free.
- Enter your website’s full URL and then Create a Free SSL Certificate.
- Now, click on Manual Verification.
- Now, download the files provided.
- Create a folder in your server’s File Manager named “.well-known“. If you use Windows you may have to add a dot at the end of the folder name in order to create a folder with a dot at the beginning.
- Open “.well-known” and create a folder named “acme-challenge” inside it.
- Upload the downloaded files to the “acme-challenge” folder.
- Now, open both the URLs provided to you in your web browser. If the pages show some random characters, you’re done.
- Now, click Download SSL Certificate. It will automatically generate a certificate needed for an SSL Redirect.
- It will show you some random numbers, but, don’t panic, you don’t need to know what these numbers are.
- Just open your C-Panel. Find anything related to redirect SSL/TLS and click on it.
- As you have your own keys and certificate, click on Manage Certificates.
- Select a domain and just Copy/Paste the random numbers that were terrifying you.
- Make sure to copy all the things in the right place. (Don’t copy CRT under KEY).
- Now Install Certificate.
- Wait for a couple of minutes and then open your website with an HTTPS added before it.
- And then it’s done.
See, how easy it was to do an SSL Redirect. Now, you know how to redirect HTTP to HTTPS.
This is an important step to do while creating a website because if you don’t do an SSL Redirect, browsers may point out your website to be UNSECURE.
Feel free to comment regarding How to redirect HTTP to HTTPS or SSL Redirect and you can also submit your articles and get featured.